According to the latest datum in 1995, the number of inhabitants in Kusadasi is
about 50000. The population, consisting 99% Turks, increases rapidly with the beginning
of the tourism season. The city has shown a rapid development an incredible
from the 1970's, with the introducing of tourism.
The Kusadasi Setur Marina is one
of the largest and best equipped marinas in Turkey with the capacity of 629
yachts both a
float and on shore, visited between 2500-3000 boats each year. The marina is on the
latitude of 37 52' 20''N and on the longitude of 27 15' 46''E.
Custom, repair service, security are some of the 24 hour services in the marina.
Apart from the great historical
beauties around Kusadasi, the city is also preserves excellent examples of Ottoman and
Turkish mosques, located in the centrum. "The Fortress Mosque",
built by the vizier Okuz Mehmet Pasa in the 17th century, is the most impressing and
monumental mosque in Kusadasi. Constructed in the area of 1800m2, the mosque has 550
person capacity. The main part of mosque is square-planned and covered by a large leaden
dome- with the supports of 12 arches. Inner part of the dome is ornamented by geometrical
designs and plant motives. The entrance door examplifies
the best of wood- working of
Ottoman, decorated with mother of pearl. Between the 16 stained-glass windows, are the oil
paintings decorated with Ion styled columns. "The Hanim Mosque"
was constructed in1658 in the name of Haji Hatice Hatun, but was destroyed in 1922. The
mosque was rebuilt by the inhabitants of Kusadasi between the years of 1951-57. The
foundation walls of the minaret belong to the original construction. The simply decorated
mosque is surrounded by a leaden dome. "Haji Ibrahim Mosque" exemplifies
a different 17 century style of Ottoman architecture. The wooden ceiling of rectangular
planned mosque is covered by roof tiles. "The Turkmen Mosque"
and "The Camiatik Mosque" are the other sights located inside
the centre of Kusadasi, in different districts.